This Potato Salad recipe is the BEST classic, creamy southern version with hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, pickle relish and a dash of mustard. It’s a must have for any celebration or barbecue.
The Best Potato Salad Recipe
You know those recipes you call your mom for. This is one of those recipes. I grew up (in Eastern NC) on my grandmother’s Southern Potato Salad and for the longest time never had a true “recipe”. She just tossed in ingredients and did the taste test.
Asking my mother years and years ago, I scribbled down what she thought it was and tucked it away and never really made it myself. I just indulged excitingly at every family get together where it happened to be.
Then several years ago, my neighbor, here in NH, brought potato salad to a neighborhood party. She made Southern Potato Salad…in NH! What?! Happy dance! But again, she said she didn’t really measure. Just kind of threw in the ingredients, doing that taste testing again. Oy! That was about 2 years ago. I haven’t had potato salad in 2 years!
Well, last weekend, another neighbor and I were chatting and she said she was “craving” potato salad. That potato salad! And did I want to try to make it? Why yes! I do!
I did have to do the taste testing. But I did measure as I went. So I can now share it with her…and you and everyone else this easy, fabulous recipe for the best Potato Salad ever.
I use white potatoes in my recipe but yukon gold potatoes work well too. I like white potatoes because I think they are creamier, which is what adds to the perfection.
Plan to give your potato salad several hours in the frig before diving in. The flavors get better and better as the hours go buy. (usually 4-6 is plenty of time). Making it the day before is even better if you have time
If you happen to have any leftovers, they will keep just fine for about 4 days in the refrigerator.
Oh, I have a question. How do you like your potato salad? Warm or Cold? I like it warm. Is that weird?
Potato Salad Ingredients
Makes 8 servings
2 lbs of potatoes, peeled and diced
7 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 cup of mayonnaise – (I’m a Hellman’s girl myself)
1 tsp yellow mustard
4 TBSP of sweet pickle relish
Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Potato Salad
Place eggs in a pan covered with cold water. When the water starts to boil, reduce to low and simmer uncovered for 1 minute .
Peel and dice the potatoes into about 1 inch pieces.
Cover them with water and bring them to a boil for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander.
Let the potatoes cool before mixing so they won’t crumble. I actually put mine in a bowl in the refrigerator for about an hour.
In a separate bowl, mix the other ingredients together.
Then add the potatoes and mix gently.
Southern Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 lbs potatoes peeled and diced
- 7 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise -
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 4 TBSP sweet pickle relish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place eggs in a pan covered with cold water. When the water starts to boil, reduce to low and simmer uncovered for 1 minute .
- Remove from heat and COVER and let stand for 20 minutes. Or you can bake your eggs in the oven for the perfect hard boiled egg!
- Peel and dice the potatoes into about 1 inch pieces.
- Cover them with water and bring them to a boil for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander.
- Let the potatoes cool before mixing so they won't crumble. I actually put mine in a bowl in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- In a separate bowl, mix the other ingredients together.
- Then add the potatoes and mix gently.