Succotash Salad is the perfect healthy summer salad loaded with fresh corn, beans, tomatoes and lightly seasoned with lemon juice, basil, and feta cheese. A must for any summer barbecue or family gathering!
Fresh, light and absolutely delicious doesn’t come close to describing how good this easy summer salad is. If you can get your hands on some fresh sweet corn or fresh lima beans, that makes this southern recipe even more of a winner!
What is Succotash?
Classic Succotash has been around for hundreds of years and is known for its signature mixture of lima beans and kernels of corn. It has been modified through the years with the addition of tomatoes and bacon.
It is traditionally served warm but it is also fabulous when served cold as a salad as well.
This salad is simple to whip up. Besides quickly sautéing the onion and boiling the beans, all you have to do is combine the ingredients and it’s ready to go. believe it or not, it’s even better the next day after making it and the flavors meld together even more!
Olive oil – for sautéing the onion
Sweet onion – chopped or diced into small pieces
Lima Beans – Frozen or fresh beans, cooked al dente
Sweet corn – Fresh, frozen or canned.
Cherry tomatoes – quartered or whole tomatoes, diced into small chunks
Lemon juice – for a simple dressing
Fresh Basil – for the perfect seasoning.
Feta cheese – crumbled
Salt and pepper – to taste
How to make this recipe
In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add the chopped onion and saute for about 5 minutes until translucent.
Lower the heat to medium low and add the beans and corn and cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until just al dente (not soft)
Transfer to a large bowl and add the tomatoes, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
Sprinkle the basil and feta cheese on top.
- Although lima beans are traditional, feel free to use edamame, white or fava beans too.
- Omit the feta cheese for a vegan option.
- Add cooked, chopped bacon if desired.
- Add in additional vegetables like green beans or sweet peas.
- Swap basil for dill or parsley
Fresh or frozen beans, cooked al dente, are best. Canned lima beans are much softer.
Fresh or frozen corn are best but canned can be used.
Use coconut oil or ghee to saute onion if preferred.
Unfortunately with the addition of the tomatoes and feta, this salad does not freeze well.
Store succotash in a air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Try these other popular salad recipes too:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or coconut oil or butter
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 2 cups frozen or fresh lima beans edamame, fava, cooked al dente
- 4 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil or butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and saute for about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Lower the heat to medium low and add the beans and corn and cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until just al dente (not soft)
- Transfer to a large serving bowl and add the tomatoes, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the basil and feta cheese on top.