This Quinoa Tabouli Salad is an easy, gluten free version of the traditional Lebanese salad. It’s made with finely chopped fresh vegetables and parsley and mixed with simple lemon and olive oil dressing.
Tabouli (also spelled Tabbouleh) is a poplar Midden Eastern salad loaded with fresh cucumber, tomato, green onion, fresh parsley, fresh mint tossed with a light lemon dressing.
Traditional Tabouli (or Tabbouleh) is made with bulgar wheat grain. However, since becoming gluten free almost 3 years ago, I haven’t given it any thought. Until now……
Quinoa, being a gluten free grain, became my hero even more by substituting it for the bulgar wheat in this Tabbouleh recipe. Plus the fact that it adds a little pop of protein as well made it even more perfect of a substitute. Not to mention all the other added benefits it offers with it’s fiber, magnesium, riboflavin, and amino acids.
This Tabouli salad screams summer for me. Fresh, healthy, and filling. Serve it as a side dish or even top it with baked chicken or fish as well.
Ingredients for Quinoa Tabouli Salad
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 large English cucumber, diced into small pieces
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut into fourths
2 carrots, grated
1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1 bunch of scallions, green tops only- thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (garlic or herb infused is wonderful to use)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
How to make Tabouli
Cook the quinoa per the package directions
Allow quinoa to cool to room temperature. (to do this quicker, place in a bowl and place in refrigerator for about 15 minutes)
Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Combine carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions in a large bowl.
Add cooled quinoa and dressing and stir well.
Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Try these other hearty side dishes too:
Quinoa Tabouli Salad
This Quinoa Tabouli is an easy, fresh salad made with finely chopped vegetables and parsley and mixed with simple lemon and olive oil dressing.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil garlic or herb infused is wonderful to use
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large English cucumber finely diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes finely diced
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions green tops only- thinly sliced
- Cook quinoa per package directions
- Allow quinoa to cool to room temperature. (to do this quicker, place in a bowl and place in refrigerator for about 15 minutes)
- Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and spring onions in a large bowl.
- Add cooled quinoa and dressing and stir well.
- Chill in the refrigerator before serving.