These Healthy Muddy Buddies are a fantastic snack to satisfy any sweet tooth cravings. They are quick to make and packed with a little extra protein too.
I absolute love muddy buddies! It’s one of those snacks that I could literally make myself sick eating so much. I think it’s the perfect combination of crunchy flavors.
The problem for me with traditional muddy buddies, now that I am eating clean and training hard, is the butter and margarine and sugar.
But you don’t have to let that stop you from indulging. Just clean it up a little and you are all set.
This version of healthy muddy buddies is by far the best I have made. It’s so simple to whip up. Just melt the peanut butter (or other nut butter) and honey together, mix in the rice cereal, cocoa powder and protein powder (I used my hands to press the peanut butter in perfectly). Then shake it in a zip lock with powdered peanut butter (like Just Great Stuff or PB2) for the outer coating instead of powdered sugar.
I prefer to use unflavored protein powder but you can certainly use chocolate protein powder too if you’d like.
I made a batch last night and I ate the whole thang as my snack! Double or triple (or more) the recipe for a bigger crowd.
1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter (24 grams)
2 tablespoons honey (30 grams)
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons protein powder, I use unflavored (10 grams)
1 cup corn or rice Chex cereal (27 grams)
2 tablespoons peanut butter powder (12 grams)
Melt peanut butter and honey together in the microwave for 20 seconds in a medium-sized bowl.
Stir in cocoa powder and protein powder.
Add Chex and coat well. (Don’t be afraid to use your hands)
Pour mixture into a zip-lock bag.
Add peanut butter powder, seal bag, and shake until well coated.
Healthy Muddy Buddies
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter 24 grams
- 2 tablespoons honey 30 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate protein powder 10 grams
- 1 cup corn or rice Chex 27 grams
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter powder 12 grams
- Melt peanut butter and honey together in the microwave for 20 seconds in a medium-sized bowl.
- Stir in cocoa powder and protein powder.
- Add Chex and coat well. (Don't be afraid to use your hands)
- Pour mixture into a zip-lock bag.
- Add peanut butter powder, seal bag, and shake until well coated.
Adapted from Heidi Powell