These Healthy Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow) are a fantastic snack made with Chex cereal and nut butter. They are a great way to satisfy sweet tooth cravings with a little less calories.
This recipe has the perfect combination of crunchy sweet salty flavors and with a little extra protein too.
This version of healthy muddy buddies is by far the best I have made. It’s so simple to whip up. Just melt the peanut butter (or other nut butter) and honey together, mix in the rice chex cereal, cocoa powder and protein powder (I used my hands to press the peanut butter in perfectly). Then shake it in a zip lock with powdered peanut butter (like Just Great Stuff or PB2) for the outer coating instead of powdered sugar.
I prefer to use unflavored protein powder but you can certainly use chocolate protein powder too if you’d like.
I made a batch last night and I ate the whole thang as my snack! Double or triple (or more) the recipe for a bigger crowd.
How to Make This Chex Mix Muddy Buddies Recipe
Melt peanut butter and honey together in the microwave for 20 seconds in a medium-sized bowl.
Stir in cocoa powder and protein powder.
Add Chex and coat well. (Don’t be afraid to use your hands)
Pour mixture into a zip-lock bag.
Add peanut butter powder, seal bag, and shake until well coated.
How to Store Muddy Buddies
To keep your Muddy Buddies from getting soft and stale, it is best to store them in an airtight container like a zip loc bag or an air tight container. It should stay fresh for 5-7 days. (if you are lucky enough have it stick around that long!)
Be sure to try these other healthy snacks too!
Healthy Muddy Buddies
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter 24 grams
- 2 tablespoons honey 30 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate protein powder 10 grams
- 1 cup corn or rice Chex 27 grams
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter powder 12 grams
- Melt peanut butter and honey together in the microwave for 20 seconds in a medium-sized bowl.
- Stir in cocoa powder and protein powder.
- Add Chex and coat well. (Don't be afraid to use your hands)
- Pour mixture into a zip-lock bag.
- Add peanut butter powder, seal bag, and shake until well coated.
Adapted from Heidi Powell