Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is so flavorful and loaded with all your favorite Mexican flavors and hearty textures. Ready in 30 minutes it can be enjoyed on its own or topped with your favorite taco soup garnishes!
Table of contents
30-Minute Taco Soup
One spoonful of this classic tortilla soup and you’re hooked. It’s a delicious weeknight dinner made quickly and effortlessly in one pot for easy cleanup. Grown-ups love the crunchy tortilla strips as much as the kids do!
I’m sure we can all agree that a good soup is easy, filling, and brimming with flavor. Bonus if it’s one the whole family will love. This delicious pressure cooker taco soup checks all of the boxes! It’s a 30-minute complete meal that’s hearty and healthy and is fully loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors so you know it’s going to be good! It is by far one of our favorite soup recipes in our house!
This chicken tortilla soup is loaded with spices like cumin, oregano, and paprika, along with tender chicken, fire-roasted tomatoes, poblano peppers, and black beans. It’s finished off with strips of crunchy tortilla, shredded cheese, and sour cream to name a few.
The rule is anything you put on top of your taco, you can put in this soup! A homemade soup made in the Instant Pot means it’s a set-it-and-forget-it recipe that is basically hands-off. It can even be made in the slow cooker too! (see the instructions in the faq section below.
Why this recipe works
- Easily double the recipe to make more or serve a larger crowd.
- So flavorful using simple ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
- A great way to use up leftover chicken if you have it, but if not, the recipe is still super simple!
- Quick and easy answer to weeknight dinners and busy weekends.
- A warming soup recipe perfect for cooler evenings.
- Healthy, wholesome and satisfying!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Olive oil – Used to saute the onions, and poblano peppers initially. Can use avocado or vegetable oil instead.
- Garlic and onion – Minced garlic and diced onion are used as aromatics to impart incredible flavor as a base to this soup. Can swap fresh garlic for 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. White onion, sweet onion, or red onion will work.
- Poblano pepper – If you aren’t a fan of the heat or the flavor of a poblano pepper you can use green bell pepper instead. Omit them altogether if preferred.
- Spices – Chili powder, cumin, oregano, and paprika are a blend of tasty seasoning however if you have taco seasoning all in one go, go ahead and use that.
- Chicken broth – The liquid base of the soup can also be vegetable broth.
- Black beans – Traditional beans used in Tex Mex and Mexican-inspired dishes. Adds protein and fiber as well as great flavor. Can also use pinto beans or great northern beans (or a blend of all three) if preferred.
- Fire roasted tomatoes – So outside of the paprika and poblano pepper this is what is going to give the soup its delicious smoky flavor. If you would prefer to use canned diced tomatoes or a can of Rotel tomatoes by all means, do that.
- Chicken breast – Boneless skinless chicken breasts have a lot of meat to them and will result in plump, tender pieces of chicken. You could also use skinless chicken thighs instead as they too have tons of flavor. If you have a store-bought rotisserie chicken you want to use up, go ahead and make it even more convenient!
How to Make this Recipe
This recipe will come together in a few easy steps but the pressure cooker does most of the work. This hands off taco soup recipe is a great recipe to start with if you’re new to the Instant Pot!
Step 1: Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and once it reads “hot” add the olive oil, onion, and poblano and cook for about 4 minutes or until the onions become translucent. Stir often.
Step 2: Add garlic and remaining powdered seasonings and continue to cook another couple of minutes while stirring often.
Step 3: Add broth, beans, tomatoes and give it a stir. Then, add the chicken and close the lid.
Step 4: Set the valve to the sealing position. Press the pressure cook or manual button (depending on the model of your Instant Pot) and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes on high.
Step 5: Once the timer beeps letting you know the cook time is up, leave it alone and allow it to natural release for 5 minutes before turning the valve to venting to quick release remaining pressure. Be careful not to put your face anywhere near it.
Step 6: Remove the chicken and shred it or dice it, whichever texture you prefer and add back to the pot. Stir everything to combine and serve with your favorite garnishes!
1: Use a store bought rotisserie chicken instead. This is a great way to use leftovers and avoid waste.
2: Add cooked brown or white rice if preferred. Brown rice and white rice have different cook times, so you’ll want to pay attention to that. Brown rice takes quite a bit longer.
3: Make homemade tortilla strips by cutting flour tortillas or corn tortillas into strips, spraying with cooking oil and baking until crispy.
4. Add some corn kernels for a pop of sweet juicy corn flavor. Can be from a can or taken right off the cob.
5: Add diced red bell pepper and/or a small can of green chiles .
- To quickly shred the chicken, pulse in a food processor for 10 seconds, use two forks and pull apart, or use a hand mixer to shred in a bowl.
- keep on the warm function until ready to serve.
- Serve with a side of crusty bread or a basket of whole tortilla chips and your meal is complete!
Toppings and Garnishes
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Diced or sliced jalapenos
- Shredded cheddar cheese (grated yourself from a block)
- Lime wedges
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Hot sauce
Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. This means leftovers for the week! Don’t forget, the larger your Instant Pot, the more volume it holds. If you want to double this recipe to make more (as long as you don’t surpass the ⅔ max line, you can! Then freeze any extra for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat on the stove top on medium until heated through.
You can. This soup is completely flexible, not only with its ingredients but also with how it’s made. It’s quite similar to the pressure cooker, obviously without the pressure and a bit more time.
Let all the ingredients come to a boil over medium heat. Cover and let it cook for 20 minutes. Shred the chicken, add the chicken back in, and stir to combine. Serve with your preferred garnishes.
Another dump and set recipe! Add all your ingredients into the slow cooker and depending on what you’ve got going on throughout the day, you can either set it on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Easy breezy.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 pound chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode.
- Add the olive oil, diced onion and poblano and cook for approximately 4 minutes, stirring often, until the onions become translucent.
- Then add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and paprika. Cook, stirring often for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, drained black beans, roasted tomatoes and stir to combine well.
- Finally, add the chicken breasts
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to the sealing position.
- Set the timer to pressure cook on manual – high for 12 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Then turn the valve carefully to release the additional pressure. (careful not to burn yourself. Place a towel over the release valve)
- Remove the chicken and shred or dice it. I love to use a food processor and quickly pulse it for 10 seconds
- Return the chicken to the Instant Pot and stir to combine well.
- Garnished with your favorite of toppings: cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado or guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce, sliced jalapeños, tortilla strips, and lime.