Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi is a simple pasta dish in lovely garlic, butter, lemon, and chicken broth sauce topped with Parmesan and parsley. It is the perfect weeknight meal that will soon become your family’s new favorite! Make this any day of the week for an easy and delicious way to get a healthy dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes.
Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta is another one of our favorite shrimp recipes. This is great if you are looking for a different flavor profile for your pasta with a Thai sweet chili sauce and don’t have an instant pot. Both are incredibly delicious!
What is Scampi?
Scampi is an Italian word that historians believe was derived from the Greek word Kampe which means to bend or wind. The word is used to describe the type of Crustacean which is actually closer to lobster than it is to shrimp. In Italy, Scampi is traditionally prepared in a garlic butter sauce and eaten with crusty bread, rice, or on its own.
The dish that we know as Shrimp Scampi, is considered American Italian because we have created a variation that includes shrimp instead of scampi (because who even knows where to get scampi?!) as well we have added pasta to it, whether it be Fettuccine, angel hair pasta or otherwise.
The mouthwatering combination of garlic and butter in this pasta recipe is already an aroma that dreams are made of. Add in a bit of the lemony flavor and you’ve just added a whole other level to the sauce and it is so good!
The Instant Pot has become a must-have appliance for good reason. The magic of this pot will never cease to amaze you so it is definitely worth finding a place for it on your countertop.
It is energy efficient and great when you don’t want to turn on the oven and heat up the house and the cooking time is faster which is perfect for busy weeknight meals and quick and easy weekend dinners.
Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi is a recipe you’re going to want to keep on hand because your family will be asking for it again and again!
How to make Shrimp Scampi in an Instant Pot
To begin, set the Instant Pot on saute and let it heat up a bit. Then add olive oil, butter, minced garlic, and diced onions. Cook until onions become translucent and soft. If you prefer more garlic add another 1 or 2 minced cloves.
Add in your frozen shrimp. You can also use fresh shrimp, you will just have to watch it in the same way and wait for your shrimp to turn pink. Frozen shrimp typically comes already deveined and without shells which will make your life easier.
Once cooked and pink, remove the shrimp to a bowl and set aside.
Add in chicken stock, water, lemon juice, Fettuccine noodles, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir well making sure the noodles are not sticking together which helps avoid having them cook together in a clump. For those of you who enjoy adding a bit of white wine into your sauce, replace 1/2 cup of the chicken broth with 1/2 cup of wine.
Place the lid on the pot and turn the knob to close the seal and set Instant Pot to manual – High Pressure and once the timer is off manually release the knob on top to release the pressure. BE VERY CAREFUL as the escaping steam will be hot so make sure to use a tea towel to avoid any mishaps.
Once all the steam has released, remove the lid completely and add back in your shrimp and mix well.
When ready to serve, an optional garnish of parsley and Parmesan will complement the dish nicely.
Can I substitute other pasta?
Absolutely, you can. Depending on the type of pasta you may need to adjust your cook time. If you are using angel hair pasta set your timer for 3 minutes rather than 6. Bowtie pasta works well with this dish as does linguine.
What can I serve with Shrimp Scampi?
Serve with a nice simple side salad or a crusty loaf of Italian bread to soak up the remaining sauce you don’t want to leave behind! If you are serving this dish for guests, a glass of white wine pairs best with seafood.
How to store it
This dish will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Love Seafood Recipes? Try these other shrimp recipes too:
Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1 lb. frozen shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 cups chicken stock low sodium
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 oz fettuccine noodles uncooked
- 1/2 whole fresh lemon squeezed
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- Set the Instant Pot on Sauté mode and let heat for about 1-2 minutes
- Add 1 TBSP olive oil, 2 TBSP butter, 3 cloves minced garlic, and 1/4 cup diced onion.
- Cook for approximately 3 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent and soft.
- Add 1 lb. frozen shrimp.
- Cook the shrimp until pink, stirring often to cook evenly.
- Then remove the shrimp from the Instant Pot and set aside in a bowl
- Add 3 cups chicken stock, 1/4 cup water, juice from 1/2 a lemon, and 12 ounces of fettuccine noodles (broken in half), salt and pepper.
- Stir well to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the knob on top to close the seal.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual - High Pressure for 6 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, manually release the pressure by turning the knob on top with a towel to avoid burns.
- Once the steam has released, remove the top and add in your shrimp back into the noodles and mix well.
- Garnish is fresh parsley, parmesan cheese and/or additional lemon juice if desired.