Maple Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas are a wonderful, crunchy, healthy snack. Nut free, gluten free and vegan. They also make fabulous salad topping!
These roasted chickpeas that are sweetened with just the right amount of maple syrup and cinnamon are so perfect to satisfy your snacking cravings. They have the perfect crunch that reminds me of a sugar cereal to be honest.
I actually soaked and cooked dried chickpeas this time instead of buying canned chickpeas. I love having frozen chickpeas in the freezer to grab, thaw and roast. The whole bag of dried chickpeas cost $1.79 and yield 4 times as much as one can.
You can also change the ingredients to create several different flavors. These Honey Mustard Chickpeas are another great way to make them. Or try sprinkling them with with a little olive oil and garlic powder. They are great with olive oil, soy sauce and lime juice.
I made one batch and completely failed. I poured the mixture over them and THEN baked them and it did not go well at all. The syrup and/or brown sugar burned.
Then I decided to try it a different way. And the best little sweet healthy snack was born! I roasted the chickpeas plain first. Then coated them with the mixture and put them back in the oven to caramelize them.
They taste like a sweetened cereal. Kid-friendly for the win!
Ingredients for Maple Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
How to Make Roasted Chickpeas
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
3. Spread the chickpeas on baking sheet line with parchment paper.
4. Bake for 45- 50 minutes. Give the pan a little shake every 15 minutes to move them around. You want to bake them until they are crunchy all the way through. Test one. If it’s still soft in the middle, cook a little longer. Retest until completely crunchy.
5. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, maple syrup , brown sugar, cinnamon.
6. Put the chickpeas into the the maple syrup mixture and toss until they are coated.
7. Put them back onto the lined baking sheet and caramelize for about 10-15 mins.
8. Remove and ENJOY!
Maple Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
- 15 oz Chickpeas or Garbanzo Beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Spread the chickpeas on baking sheet line with parchment paper.
- Bake for 45- 50 minutes. Give the pan a little shake every 15 minutes to move them around.
- You want to bake them until they are crunchy all the way through. Test one. If it's still soft in the middle, cook a little longer. Retest until completely crunchy.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, maple syrup , brown sugar, cinnamon.
- Put the chickpeas into the the maple syrup mixture and toss until they are coated.
- Put them back onto the lined baking sheet and caramelize for about 10-15 mins.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
Made these not too bad. Need more flavour though.