Rich and creamy, this homemade shamrock shake is made with real ice cream and a touch of mint flavor. This McDonald’s copycat recipe is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any day you crave something sweet.
If you love St Patrick’s Day recipes, be sure to try these Green Punch and, of course, this classic Corned Beef and Cabbage.
Table of contents
Copycat McDonald’s Shamrock Shake
St. Patrick’s Day is coming around the corner and it’s fun to make this famous limited time McDonald’s shake right at home. It is one of the most popular fast-food chain milkshakes!
A delicious peppermint shake that is made with simple ingredients and big minty flavor. The traditional shamrock shakes are perfect to pair with your favorite burger and fries.
This green milkshake is perfect for making all year round Try out this coffee milkshake for another tasty ice cream recipe to try out.
What is a Shamrock Shake?
A Shamrock Shake is a mint-flavored, green-colored milkshake introduced in 1970 at McDonald’s restaurants. It’s made with vanilla soft serve ice cream, milk, mint flavoring, and green food coloring and is only available during the weeks leading up to St. Patrick’s Day.
What kind of mint do you use in Shamrock Shake?
The mint flavoring used in a Shamrock Shake can vary depending on the recipe, but typically it is made with peppermint or mint extract. Mint extract has a slightly milder mint flavor than peppermint so choose your personal preference.
Vanilla ice cream – Use any brand you prefer as the base of this milkshake. Make sure that you use quality ice cream as it is going to provide the best flavor. While McDonalds uses soft-serve ice cream you will find the homemade version offers a similar flavor the whole family can enjoy.
Whole milk – Whole milk is going to give your mint milkshake a rich and creamy texture, so it tastes like the real deal. You can also use a lower fat milk if you prefer.
Peppermint or Mint extract – for that classic minty flavoring. Find this in the baking aisle or cake decorating aisle of your grocery store.
Green food coloring – Adjust the amount you use if desired. You are welcome to skip the food coloring if you do not want to use artificial colors. But adding drops of green food coloring gives that original shamrock shake look.
Optional toppings – Whipped topping, maraschino cherry, green sprinkles, and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
These are just a few ideas for variations, but you can get creative and experiment with different ingredients to create your own unique Shamrock Shake recipe.
- Chocolate Shamrock Shake: Add ¼ cup of chocolate syrup to the classic recipe to create a chocolate-mint version of the shake.
- Oreo Shamrock Shake: Add in some crushed Oreo cookies to the mint chocolate shake. This is similar to the fan-favorite Oreo shamrock Mcflurry customers love.
- Boozy Shamrock Shake: Add a shot of your favorite Irish cream liqueur, such as Baileys or Kahlúa or a shot of Creme de Menthe, to the classic recipe for a boozy twist on the drink.
- Vegan Shamrock Shake: Use dairy-free vanilla ice cream and almond milk instead of regular milk to make a vegan version of the shake.
- Protein Shamrock Shake: Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to the classic recipe to create a protein-packed version of the drink.
- Matcha Shamrock Shake: Substitute the mint flavoring with matcha powder for a green tea-flavored variation of the shake.
How to Make this Milkshake
Step 1 – Add the ice cream, milk, mint extract, and food coloring to a blender and blend until smooth– about 30 seconds.
Step 2 – Pour between two large glasses and top with your favorite toppings.
- Soften the ice cream: Allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before blending. This will make it easier to blend and will result in a creamier shake.
- Add the milk gradually: Start with ½ cup of milk, and then add more as needed to achieve your desired consistency. Adding too much milk at once can result in a thin and watery shake.
- Adjust the peppermint extract to taste: The amount of peppermint extract you use will depend on your personal preference. Start with ¼ teaspoon, and then add more if you want a stronger mint flavor.
- Use high-quality ingredients: For the best results, use high-quality vanilla ice cream and whole milk. This will result in a creamier and richer shake.
- Blend until smooth: Blend the mixture for at least 30 seconds, or until it is completely smooth and creamy. This will ensure that the ingredients are fully combined and that there are no lumps or chunks of ice cream.
If you like this recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe below. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and TikTok!
- 16 ounces vanilla ice cream 1 pint
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon green gel food coloring
- Optional Toppings: Whipped Cream Maraschino Cherries, Sprinkles, Chocolate Sauce
- Add the ice cream, milk, mint extract, and food coloring to a blender and blend until smooth– about 30 seconds.16 ounces vanilla ice cream, 1 cup whole milk, ½ teaspoon peppermint extract, ½ teaspoon green gel food coloring
- Pour between two large glasses and top with your favorite toppings.Optional Toppings: Whipped Cream
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
Leave a Reply