This easy Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is made from scratch using tender pieces of beef slow-cooked until tender in a creamy mushroom sauce then served over egg noodles or mashed potatoes for a complete meal!
Love slow cooker recipes? Be sure to try this Slow Cooker Angel Chicken, this Slow Cooker Mexican Casserole and this Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki too!
Table of contents
The Best Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
Creamy beef stroganoff is a classic recipe that is sure to become a family favorite. Making this easy dinner from scratch will give you all the retro vibes! No canned soup in this recipe, but it’s definitely flexible enough to create some shortcuts for yourself!
It’s a combination of beef stew meat in a creamy sauce infused with herbs and fresh mushrooms. Then, it’s served over wide egg noodles, mashed potatoes or white rice, but you can enjoy it however you like it!
This is a great recipe if you’re looking to feed your family on a budget. It’s cozy and hearty comfort food classic or weeknights and lazy weekends. Once it’s in the slow cooker it is hands-off until the meat is tender and your house smells incredible.
- Beef stew meat: I find this easiest as it usually comes already cubed. Otherwise, you could use strips of sirloin steak, flank steak, ground beef, or even meatballs, if preferred.
- Olive oil: Used to sear the meat to lock in the moisture and add a bit of extra flavor.
- Onion & garlic: Aromatics that are cooked along with the mushrooms. There’s just something about the smell of that combination that is so enticing! I love using sweet onion but yellow onion is perfectly fine too.
- Sliced mushrooms: Your favorite mushrooms will do. White, baby Bella, cremini, whatever you’ve got on hand. Keep in mind brown mushrooms do have a bit more flavor than white mushrooms.
- Fresh thyme: Elevates the entire dish but it’s completely optional.
- Beef broth & Worcestershire sauce: A salty, savory liquid base for the sauce. It’s part of what helps to break down the meat as it cooks.
- Sour cream: Adds a tart and tangy flavor and the signature creamy texture that makes it so cozy and comforting.
- Salt & pepper: A little extra seasoning to taste.
- Corn starch: A thickening agent that will help to make the rich sauce even thicker if that’s what you like
How to Make this Recipe
This easy beef stroganoff will come together with a few minutes of prep time and the low and slow cooking time is worth the wait!
Step 1: Brown meat by searing the beef for just a minute on each side over medium-high heat. You want to make sure to only have a single layer, leaving enough room in between each cube for a nice even browning. Work in batches to not overcrowd the pan, if necessary.
Step 2: Add the seared beef to the slow cooker followed by the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and thyme.
Step 3: Pour in the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Then, cover with the lid and set it to cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. When it’s ready, the beef will be tender and should shred easily.
Step 4: Remove the beef from the pot by spooning it out using a slotted spoon. Place it in a bowl and set it aside.
Step 5: Stir in the sour cream with the remaining sauce in the crockpot and stir to combine well. Add the beef back in and toss to coat. Garnish with fresh parsley if you’d like!
1. Omit the thyme if desired. You could swap it with parsley instead.
2. If no beef stock is available, use chicken broth or vegetable stock in its place.
3. For a lighter version, use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
4. Use light sour cream if preferred. It won’t be as thick and rich but still works.
5. Add a can of cream of mushroom soup if desired.
6. Add half a block of cream cheese for extra creaminess.
7. Add a tablespoon of dijon mustard.
- Use any favorite mushrooms: white, baby Bella, cremini or button mushrooms.
- Pick up whatever inexpensive cut of beef is on sale.
- For a thicker sauce, remove ½ cup of the broth and place it in a small bowl and stir in the corn starch. Then add it back to the slow cooker and cook for about 15 minutes until thickened.
Yes! Although it’s called Beef Stroganoff, you can absolutely use chicken or pork instead. It’ll be lighter and leaner, but just as flavorful!
My family loves when slow cooker beef stroganoff is served over egg noodles. Sometimes we’ll do mashed potatoes or rice too. A basket of crusty bread to sop up the sauce afterward is a must!
If you can’t find egg noodles, really any type of noodle will suffice. You can also keep it low carb and enjoy a bowl of beef and mushroom sauce all on its own.
Complete the meal with a side salad or some veggies and you’re all set!
Of course not! It is customary, but not written in stone. I know some people aren’t fans of mushrooms, so you can leave them out.
Slow cooker beef stroganoff can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Be sure to keep it covered in an airtight container.
Reheat in the microwave, the stovetop, or the slow cooker to enjoy it the next day!
If you like this recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe below. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut into 2” pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme minced
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or all purpose flour, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add the meat and sear for just 1 minute on each side to lock in the juices. Cook in batches if necessary being sure not to crowd the pan.2 pounds beef stew meat, Salt and pepper
- Place the seared beef to the slow cooker and add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and thyme.1 small onion, 8 ounces mushrooms, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth.1 ½ cups beef broth, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours until beef is tender and shreds easily.
- Spoon out the beef and place it in a bowl.
- Stir in the sour cream with sauce in the slow cooker and stir to combine well.1 cup sour cream
- Add the beef back into the sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
No flavour at all it needs some spices just not sure what kind