The entire batch of these easy Spice Cookies is ready to eat in 35 minutes! Just 3 ingredients, a spice cake mix, eggs, oil, make for a perfect fall treat! They are fun to turn into decorated pumpkin cookies for Halloween, and Thanksgiving by adding sprinkles and mellowcreme pumpkins.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Table of contents
Spice Cookies from Cake Mix
I always look forward to the time of year of all fall spices! I do bake from scratch quite often, but there are times when shortcuts are in order. Enter these quick and easy spice cookies are so wonderful during winter months when you love warm spice flavors!
These soft and chewy spice cookies come from my latest and greatest easy-as-can-be cookie recipe, perfect for when you need to whip something up in a hurry!
Just 3-4 ingredients result in flavorful soft cookies loaded with familiar warm flavors and a moist and chewy texture that just melts in your mouth.
- Spice Cake Mix: Any box will do, it doesn’t matter the brand. You’ll ignore the directions on the package and follow this recipe instead.
- Large Eggs: These will help to bind the ingredients so the cookie holds together. The eggs also help to keep the cookies moist.
- Vegetable Oil: Unlike butter, vegetable oil doesn’t solidify at room temperature, so it’ll help keep the cookies moist and chewy.
- Sprinkles, optional: Seasonal sprinkles are a great way to decorate these cookies according to the occasion! Fall sprinkles for Thanksgiving, Black and orange for Halloween, or green and red for your Christmas cookie tray!
- Optional Decoration: Mellowcreme Pumpkin Candy is a cute addition to the theme!
1. Swap the pumpkin candy with candy corn for something just as adorably festive.
2. If you don’t want to use (or don’t have any) sprinkles, feel free to roll the cookies around in coarse sugar or cinnamon sugar mixture instead like these pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies.
3. Add mini dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips to the cookie dough.
4. Add a teaspoon vanilla extract to the cookie dough for an extra depth of flavor.
5. Chopped nuts would also be a great mix-in.
6. If you like to add a bit of glaze or frosting to the cookies, by all means, go for it! Vanilla glaze, maple glaze, or even a cream cheese frosting would elevate these cookies to the next level.
7. Swap the egg and oil for a can of pure pumpkin puree for a great pumpkin spice flavor. Be sure it’s actual pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling.
How to Make this Spice Cookies Recipe
This recipe will come together in a few simple steps, with 10 minutes of prep time. The entire batch will be ready in just 35 minutes!
Step 1: In a large bowl, add the cake mix, oil, and eggs. Mix well by hand or an electric mixer until combined then cover with plastic wrap and chill the dough in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes so the cookies don’t flatten. In the meantime, add your sprinkles to a small plate or small bowl if you’re using them.
Step 2: Grab your bowl of cookie dough from the refrigerator and use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out dough balls.
Step 3: One at a time, dip the top of the cookie dough balls in sprinkles or sugar. You’re welcome to leave some undipped if preferred.
Step 4: Arrange the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheets two inches apart to allow for room to spread.
Step 5: Bake for 9-11 minutes and allow them to cool on the cookie sheet then place on cooling rack to cool completely.
- Lining baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon mat is best for cleanup.
- If you do want to add a mellowcreme pumpkin, be sure to do it right after you remove the cookies are still warm.
- The dough will be different than most cookie dough you’re used to mixing. It may be thicker and slightly sticky, but not to worry, the cookies will still turn out great.
- Using a cookie scoop helps to ensure all the cookies are the same size. This helps with baking them evenly.
These will stay fresh at room temperature when stored in an airtight container. If they’re not covered they will dry out.
These spice cookies can appear done on the outside sooner than they’re baked through on the inside. The best way to tell is by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cookie. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
Absolutely! Don’t stop at just this recipe Use any flavor of cake mix you like to make delicious soft cookies.
- 15.25 ounce Spice cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Fall colored sprinkles
- 24 Mellowcreme Pumpkin candy optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, oil, and eggs and mix well. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to chill.15.25 ounce Spice cake mix, 2 large eggs, ½ cup vegetable oil
- Add fall sprinkles to a small plate.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough into a ball. Dip the top of the cookie ball in the sprinkles. Leave some of them undipped if desired.Fall colored sprinkles
- Place the cookies onto the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Add a mellowcreme pumpkin into each cookie while still warm if desired.24 Mellowcreme Pumpkin candy
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected