Easy Spinach Pie is stuffed with spinach, feta cheese, onions and the perfect blend of spices. Similar to Greek spanakopita but made in a pie crust, it makes a wonderful savory breakfast, brunch or light lunch idea!
Table of contents
Spinach and Cheese Pie
This simple, delicious Spinach Pie is a twist on traditional Greek Spanakopita and Ricotta Spinach Pie that is packed with so many yummy flavors.
It’s a versatile recipe that you can swap out several of the ingredients for something that you enjoy more. See below for several variations.
Originally published 3/2014, updated 3/23/2022.
1 refrigerated or homemade pie crust
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, minced
10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 whole eggs or ⅓ cup of liquid egg whites
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup of low fat cottage cheese
½ cup of feta cheese
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of oregano
¼ teaspoon of black pepper
Variations / Substitutions
1. Substitute ricotta cheese for the cottage cheese
2. Add fresh chopped mushrooms
3. Use puff pastry or filo dough instead of a pie crust.
4. Add a ¼ cup of bacon bits.
How to Make This Spinach Pie in a Pie Crust
Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Step 2 Prepare pie crust or take your bought pie crust out of the refrigerator and follow the directions on the box for preparing. The one I have used is Immaculate brand and it says to let it get to room temperature for 25-30 minutes before unrolling into the pie dish.
Step 3 Heat oil in a small pan and cook the chopped onion and garlic for about 10 minutes until onions are translucent.
Step 4 In a small bowl, add the spinach (be sure to squeeze all the water out), balsamic, oregano, cottage cheese, feta cheese, eggs, and pepper.
Step 5 Add in the sautéd onions and garlic and mix together evenly.
Step 6 Spoon into pie crust and spread evenly.
Step 7 Cook for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown.
Cover the crust foil or crust shield to keep from getting too brown.
Use a gluten free pie crust if preferred.
Easy Spinach Pie Recipe
- 1 pie crust refrigerated or homemade
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 10 ounces package of frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 2 large whole eggs or ⅓ cup egg whites
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare pie crust or take your bought pie crust out of the refrigerator and follow the directions on the box for preparing. The one I have used is Immaculate brand and it says to let it get to room temperature for 25-30 minutes before unrolling into the pie dish.
- Heat oil in a small pan
- Cook the chopped onion and garlic for about 10 minutes until onions are translucent.
- In a small bowl, add the spinach (be sure to squeeze all the water out), balsamic, oregano, cottage cheese, feta cheese, egg whites, and pepper.
- Add the onions and garlic after soft and mix together evenly.
- Spoon into pie crust
- Cook for 20-25 minutes. Cover the crust foil or crust shield to keep from getting too brown.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected