Bursting with flavor, these Strawberry Muddy Buddies are an easy, sweet Chex mix. This recipe combines the crunch of Chex cereal tossed in melted chocolate then all coated in a sweet freeze-dried strawberries and powdered sugar mixture.
If you’re a fan of sweet treats like this, you might also enjoy my recipes for healthy muddy buddies and white trash recipe. They’re equally scrumptious and a perfect treat to satisfy your sweet cravings.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Strawberry Puppy Chow Recipe
There’s something about classic muddy buddies recipe that makes everyone, from little kids to grown-ups, fall in love at first bite. One of the best things is how easy it is to whip up when you want to quickly make a sweet, delicious treat for any special occasion!
This strawberry Chex mix, also called Puppy Chow, is a fun twist on the classic treat. Its fruity flavor, coupled with the irresistible chocolate covered crunch, makes this pink puppy chow a perfect snack for parties (Valentine’s day school parties, etc), movie night, or just for an anytime afternoon snack.
You can even make valentine’s day gift baggies by putting some in little clear baggies and tie with a red ribbon. (You may want to make them gluten-free with rice and corn Chex mix and nut-free, just in case)
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this easy recipe. Scroll down for the full recipe card with individual amounts.
- Chex Cereal – the crunchy base of this sweet snack.
- Powdered Sugar – adds the sweet coating.
- Freeze-dried Strawberries – these are crushed into a fine powder for the real strawberry flavor. You can find them at many grocery stores, Walmart and Trader Joe’s.
- Chocolate Chips – Use semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips.
- Butter – helps in melting the chocolate and adds a hint of creaminess.
- Rice Chex cereal is my favorite but you can use any flavor combination you’d like.
- Use melted white chocolate chips instead of regular chocolate. You can also use candy melts or almond bark if you’d prefer over chocolate.
- Mix in a handful of mini marshmallows for extra sweetness.
- For a nutty flavor, add a ½ cup of peanut butter or cashew butter to the chocolate mixture.
- Throw in some mini chocolate chips and peanuts for added texture.
How to Make this Strawberry Chex Mix Recipe:
Step 1 – Add the Chex cereal to a large bowl.
Step 2 – Place the powdered sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.
Step 3 – Add the freeze-dried strawberries to a blender and blend into fine crumbs.
Then pour the strawberry powder in with the powdered sugar and stir to combine. (you can also use a food processor).
Step 4 – In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and butter and heat in the microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring in between each until melted and smooth. Be very careful not to overheat or the chocolate will seize and thicken. You should only have to heat it 3 or 4 times.
Step 5 – Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal and gently stir until it is all coated.
Step 6 – Sprinkle the strawberry sugar over the coated cereal in batches, stirring between each addition until all the cereral is completely coated.
- Be gentle when stirring the chocolate-coated cereal to avoid breaking them.
- If you prefer a less sweet version, reduce the powdered sugar slightly.
- Use a double boiler to melt the chocolate if you’d like. Just be sure to not get any moisture or steam into it or it will seize and harden.
- Let the chocolate-coated cereal cool a bit before eating. You can place it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to help with that.
How to Store Muddy Buddies
Room Temperature: Store this sweet Chex mix in an airtight container or a plastic sealable bag with the air pressed out for up to a week. It keeps well at room temperature but can also be refrigerated..
Freeze: Freeze any puppy chow recipe in a sealed bag for up to 2 months. Just let them thaw at room temperature before serving. Let it thaw at room temperature or eat it right out of the freezer extra cold!
Strawberry Muddy Buddies
- 6 cups Chex cereal any variety
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ounce freeze-dried strawberries
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Add the Chex cereal a large mixing bowl.6 cups Chex cereal
- Place the powdered sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.1 cup powdered sugar
- Add the freeze-dried strawberries to a food processor or blender and pulse or blend until strawberry pieces are fine crumbs. Then add it to the strawberry powder to the powdered sugar and toss to combine.1 ounce freeze-dried strawberries
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and butter and heat in 15-second increments, stirring in between each. Be very careful not to overheat or the chocolate will seize and thicken. You should only have to heat it 3 or 4 times.¾ cup dark chocolate chips, 3 tablespoons butter
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal and gently stir to coat completely.
- Sprinkle the strawberry powdered sugar over the coated cereal in batches, stirring very carefully between each addition.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected