This White Trash recipe, aka white chocolate Chex mix, is a no-bake dessert made with crispy rice cereal, salty peanuts, crunchy pretzels coated in delicious white chocolate for the perfect sweet and slightly salty treat that can be customized for any occasion!
There’s always a time when quick and easy snacks are needed, no matter what time of year! Both Oreo Balls, Rolo Pretzel Turtles and Peanut Butter Balls are other easy, no-bake treats worth trying the next time you have last-minute guests or a sweet craving to curb!
Table of contents
Why is this called White Trash?
It’s a funny name that’s for sure! It’s called White Trash because it looks like a bunch of stuff was just thrown together. Kind of of trash like. HA!
White Trash is one of those delicious snack mix ideas that are sort of like muddy buddies (aka puppy chow) with a twist on traditional chex mix! It’s has several names actually. It’s also called Reindeer Chow in addition to White chocolate Snack mix and White Chocolate Chex Mix.
You have no idea how much you love the stuff until you look down at your bowl and realize you’ve eaten the whole thing. It’s super addicting which is why I love having bowls of it out when I’m entertaining. It’s such an easy snack to pull together and a great treat for the holiday season. You can also give it to friends and neighbors in a little gift bag!
This Chex party mix is the perfect snack for when you’re watching a movie or playing cards on family game night. It’s made with simple ingredients like white chocolate, Chex mix cereal, pretzels, and peanuts. That’s it! The beauty of this sweet snack is that you can swap out anything and make it exactly how you like it. No matter what you add in there, that sweet, salty, crunchy combination is something everyone can’t get enough of!
Why we love this recipe
- As quick and easy as no-bake desserts come. It comes together in minutes!
- They’re the perfect party snack (or anytime you want a snack).
- The sweet and salty combination is irresistible and the crunch is the ultimate satisfaction.
- You can dress it up with festive colors and add-ins for the holidays and any special occasion!
- White chocolate – You can use either white chocolate bars or white chocolate chips. If using bars, chop them up for easier melting.
- Chex mix cereal – A light, crispy rice cereal.
- Pretzel sticks – If you prefer to use knots, go right ahead.
- Dry roasted peanuts – The nutty, crunchy, salty element (along with the pretzels, of course!).
- Optional add-ons for the holidays – Green candy melts for drizzling and holiday sprinkles for a colorful addition.
How to Make this Recipe
This snack mix comes together so easily and so quickly. Other than waiting for it to set, of course. Then you can dig in!
Step 1: Toss the Chex cereal, pretzels, and peanuts into a large mixing bowl and melt the white chocolate in separate microwave-safe bowl.
Step 2: Heat the chocolate for 30 seconds at 50% power, stir and heat again for an additional 30 seconds. Stir once more an if needed, heat once more. You can also melt it a double boiler on the stove top if you’d like.
Step 3: Pour melted chocolate over the cereal mixture and give it a gentle stir making sure all the dry ingredients get coated in the chocolate.
Step 4: If you plan on adding a drizzle, spread the mixture onto a parchment-lined (or wax paper lined) rimmed baking sheet and melt the green candy melts at 30 second intervals.
Step 5: Add melted green melts to a small ziplock bag or piping bag and drizzle all over the mix. Add sprinkles and allow it to set for 45 minutes.
- Add red and green M&M’s, peanut M&M’s, cheerios, bagel chips, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, Reese’s pieces, etc.
- Red and Green drizzles and/or sprinkles for the festive Christmas season
- Add candy corn for Halloween season and other seasonal colored M&M’s for Easter, St. Patrick’s Day, or Valentine’s Day.
- Swap the peanuts for another nut like almond slivers, cocktail peanuts, pecans, or even mixed nuts.
- Substitute milk chocolate or dark chocolate if preferred.
- Use cinnamon-flavored Chex mix for a yummy flavor twist.
- Use Crispix Cereal as an alternative to Chex cereal.
- Swap the white chocolate for almond bark if you’d like.
- Toss the mixture in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar after mixing in the white chocolate. lace the powdered sugar in a plastic bag and place the mixture in a shake it around.
- Use Rice Chex cereal or a mixture of different Chex mix cereals like corn Chex and wheat Chex.
- Can be easily made gluten-free with gluten-free pretzels and rice or corn Chex.
- Whether you add a drizzle and sprinkles or not, it’s important to lay out the mix on parchment paper to allow it to set. That way it won’t end up in one large clump.
- Once completely set, wrap in cellophane or a decorative jar and gift it to friends, teachers, and neighbors!
Store in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. It is at its best for the first couple of days, and then the cereal may start to lose some of its crisp texture.
You can use melting wafter (like Ghirardelli White Vanilla Flavored Melting Wafers or even candy melts (like Wilton Candy Melts) in place of the white chocolate. You can also substitute Almond Bark, which is similar to white chocolate but made with vegetable oils instead of cocoa butter.
White Trash Recipe
- 2 bars white chocolate or 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 cups Chex mix cereal
- 2 cups pretzel sticks or knots
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup green candy melts optional
- Holiday colored sprinkles optional
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Chex cereal, pretzels, and peanuts and toss together.
- Break white chocolate bars into pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl
- Heat in microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power level.
- Stir and heat for an additional 30 seconds at 50% power level.
- Stir again and repeat heating one more time if needed. Be careful not to overheat or chocolate will become too thick
- Pour melted white chocolate over the Chex mix and gently stir to coat.
- For Drizzle
- If adding green drizzle, spread the mixture onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Melt green candy melts at 30 second intervals in a small microwave safe bowl and then add it to a small ziplock bag or piping bag. (you can also drizzle it carefully with a spoon)
- Cut off the corner of the bag and zig-zag small drizzles all over the mix
- Add sprinkles if using and let the mix sit for at least 45 minutes to set.
Add seasonal colored M&M’s, cheerios, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, if desired.
Add green and red drizzles if preferred.
Substitute milk chocolate or dark chocolate if preferred.