This Cinnamon Applesauce Bread, made with healthy swaps, is so moist and delicious! It’s topped with the perfect amount of sweet crumbles on top.
As many of you know, I live in New Hampshire. I’m not gonna lie, it was an adjustment for this North Carolina girl when we moved here 11 years ago. I can definitely say, without a doubt, that I have adjusted to the Winter weather.
What I have not adjusted to is how long the winter months are. By March, I want Spring! I want flowers popping up. I do not want more snow.
What I absolutely LOVE, LOVE about living here are Summer and Fall months. The weather is amazing! I do not miss the humidity of the South. Being able to enjoy being outside for several months in a row, without melting, is fantastic!
Now that Fall is almost here, one of our all time favorite things to do is pick fresh apples at a local orchard. There is just no comparison! They are so crisp and delicious!
I have a plethora of apples from picking last week, so I decided to try a few new recipes. This cinnamon applesauce bread was a huge hit! I am planning to make homemade applesauce too so be on the outlook for that post soon.
I love to change up recipes to make them a little more healthy than I find them. Using greek yogurt in bread recipes makes them so moist. I just used plain Greek yogurt to cut down on the sugar even more but you could use vanilla Greek yogurt too.
I also like to change the type and amount of sweeteners as well…. without any questions asked from the family. You could add 1/2 cup – 1 cup of your favorite chopped nuts to this recipe if you’d like.
Without further ado, let me introduce you to this week’s yummy breakfast/snack.
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons – vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted but not too hot
1/3 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (low fat or fat free)
1 large egg
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup apple, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons – Turbinado sugar or brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly grease and a bread pan.
In a large bowl, stir together the applesauce, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil and Greek yogurt until combined.
Mix in the egg and brown sugar and stir to combine.
Add the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
Add in the chopped apple. Pour the lemon juice over the apple pieces. Then drain the juice off completely.
Stir apple into the mixture.
Add the almond flour and oat flour.
Stir until just combined, careful not to overmix.
Pour into greased bread pan.
Mix the turbanado (or brown sugar) and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the top of the uncooked bread
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted into the center comes out clean.
Healthy Cinnamon Applesauce Bread
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted but not too hot
- 1/3 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt low fat or fat free
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup apple peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour make your own by blending oats in a food processor or blender or you can also use whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons turbanado or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease and a bread pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the applesauce, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil and Greek yogurt until combined.
- Mix in the egg and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the almond flour and oat flour and stir until just combined,
- Add in the chopped apple and gently fold into the mixture, careful not to overmix.
- Pour into greased bread pan.
- Mix the turbanado (or brown sugar) and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the top of the uncooked bread
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted into the center comes out clean.
Try these other healthy bread recipes too: