This delicious Cinnamon Applesauce Bread is moist and easy to make! It’s is filled with fall flavor, chunks of apple and topped with the perfect amount of sweet crumbles on top for the perfect snack or breakfast addition.
Making different easy quick bread recipes has become very common for me. It’s perfect for to eat mid afternoon when hunger strikes or I love a slice of bread alongside eggs in the morning too. This applesauce bread, like this sweet potato bread or this blueberry lemon bread, are just a few that are loved in our house.
Table of contents
Easy Homemade Applesauce Bread
Now that Fall is almost here, one of our all time favorite things to do is pick fresh apples at a local orchard. There is just no comparison! They are so crisp and delicious!
Then comes the baking and dessert creations! Between apples and pumpkins, I’m not sure I could ever pick a favorite. Just give me any!
I love using yogurt in bread recipes because it makes them so moist. Sour cream is used in cakes and breads as well for the same purpose. I just used plain Greek yogurt to cut down on the sugar even more but you could use vanilla Greek yogurt too. I have also used non-dairy yogurt as well.
This sweet bread is so versatile. You an easily swap out flours or even blend your own oat flour out of oatmeal like I did for this recipe, which makes
Unsweetened applesauce – the staple for this bread for flavor and moisture.
Vanilla Extract – Adds just the right amount of warmth.
Coconut Oil – slightly melted but not too hot. (substitute with a vegetable oil if preferred)
Plain or vanilla Greek yogurt – for the best added moisture. Low fat is my preference
Egg – just one large egg is needed.
Brown sugar – light or dark brown sugar for the perfect sweetness. you can use white sugar if desired but I love the caramel flavors brown sugar gives.
Allspice, Nutmeg, Cinnamon – for the perfect warm spices full of seasonal flavors.
Baking powder, baking soda, and salt – a baking necessity
Apple – peeled and finely chopped
Lemon juice – optional to keep the apple from browning.
Oat flour – I love using this for a gluten free option. You can buy it or blend it yourself easily.
Almond flour – just a little for added moisture. (you can omit this and use 2 cups of one flour.
Turbinado sugar or brown sugar
How to Make this Quick Bread
Preheat the oven and lightly grease and a bread pan.
In a large bowl, stir together the applesauce, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil and Greek yogurt until combined.
Mix in the egg and brown sugar and stir to combine.
Add the spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt and combine well.
Add in the flour to the wet ingredients and stir until barely combined (do not to over-mix).
Then add in the diced apple and gently fold into the batter.
Pour batter into greased bread pan.
Mix the turbanado and cinnamon together in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top of the batter.
Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
Add ½ cup of your favorite chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts
Add ½ cup raisins.
Take make it vegan, omit the egg and use an additional ¼ cup of applesauce.
Leave out the diced apples if desired.
Swap out the brown sugar for maple syrup in the bread.
Use 2 cups of all-purpose flour or all oat flour if you prefer and omit the almond flour. You can also use half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour.
If you don’t have turbinado sugar, use brown sugar or coconut sugar to mix wit the cinnamon for the topping.
Use canola or vegetable oil in place of the coconut oil if preferred.
Yes! Wrap with completely cooled loaf of bread in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Then place in a plastic zip closure freezer bag for up to 2 months.
Store the cooked bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you prefer warm bread, microwave a slice for 10 seconds to quickly.
If you would like to bake mini bread loves, decrease the time to 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
More bread recipes to try
Cinnamon Applesauce Bread
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted but not too hot
- ⅓ cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt low fat or fat free
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup apple peeled and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ¼ cups oat flour make your own by blending oats in a food processor or blender or you can also use whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons turbanado or brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease and a bread pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the applesauce, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil and Greek yogurt until combined.
- Mix in the egg and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the chopped apple and gently fold into the mixture, careful not to overmix.
- Add the flours and stir until just combined,
- Pour into greased bread pan.
- Mix the turbanado (or brown sugar) and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the top of the uncooked bread
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted into the center comes out clean.