Skip buying a store-bought blend and make homemade poultry seasoning recipe instead. It’s a simple blend to make yourself that’s brimming with the warmth of thyme, sage, and a hint of nutmeg.
If you love making your own spice blends, you’ll love this homemade pumpkin pie spice for all your fall recipes and this homemade taco seasoning is one of my favorite recipe to have on hand to use in all Mexican recipes.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Best Homemade Poultry Seasoning
This easy-to-make DIY poultry seasoning blend is the secret ingredient, not only for your holiday stuffing recipe and Thanksgiving turkey, but also over vegetables, in chicken soups or used to season chicken or turkey, pork chops and steak too.
Whether you’re roasting, grilling, or sautéing, this homemade seasoning adds delicious flavor from common ingredients you probably already have in your spice cabinet. I hardly ever buy spice mixes any more when it’s so easy to make with your own spices.
What is in this Poultry Seasoning Spice Blend?
Below is a list of the herbs and spices you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll down to the full recipe card with amounts.
- Ground Thyme
- Ground Sage
- Dried Rosemary
- Salt and black pepper to taste, optional
- Swap marjoram for oregano for a more robust flavor.
- Use smoked paprika for a subtle smoky twist.
- Replace nutmeg with allspice for a deeper flavor.
- For a kick, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Feel free to add a ½ teaspoon of garlic powder or onion powder if you’d like. You can’t go wrong with experimenting with flavor combinations.
- Substitute dried herbs with fresh herbs for a more vibrant mix/ Just triple the amount of each and use a coffee grinder or spice grinder.
How to Make this Poultry Seasoning Recipe:
Step 1 – In a small bowl, combine thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, and nutmeg.
Step 2 – Mix thoroughly.
Step 2 – Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a dark place. I like to use and old spice jar for storing my own seasoning blends.
- Make as large a batch as you’d like.
- Grind your own whole spices for the freshest flavors.
- Adjust the amount used to suit your taste preference and the size of your poultry dish.
How to Store?
Keep your homemade poultry seasoning in an airtight container or glass jar in a dry, cool place. It will last up to 6 months.
How much of this poultry seasoning should I use per pound of poultry?
A general rule of thumb is to use about 1 tablespoon of seasoning per pound of poultry, but feel free to adjust to taste.
Homemade Poultry Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Thyme
- 2 Tablespoons Sage
- 1 Tablespoon Rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon Marjoram
- 2 Teaspoons Nutmeg
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl or jar and blend well.2 Tablespoons Thyme, 2 Tablespoons Sage, 1 Tablespoon Rosemary, 1 Tablespoon Marjoram, 2 Teaspoons Nutmeg
- Store in a sealed jar in the pantry for up to 2 months.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected