Instant Pot Tuna Casserole is a delicious and hearty comfort meal ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. Made with simple flavorful ingredients using pantry staples already in your kitchen, this easy one-pot meal is a budget-friendly dinner that everyone will love!
Have this Instant Pot Tuna Casserole in your family’s dinner rotation and you’ll always have a great tasting backup plan on days where time seems to get away from you! If you are looking for other quick and easy Instant Pot recipes for busy weeknight meals or when you’re serving a crowd Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi and Instant Pot Pot Roast are also two of my family’s favorites!
Making a homemade tuna casserole has never been easier. You’ll be pleased to know making it in a pressure cooker is so much faster than what you’re used to! If you have never made it before, well then you’re just in for a treat!
This casserole is made with mouthwatering flaky tuna, noodles, and peas, in a creamy cheesy sauce. It’s seasoned with spices and a hint of dill which provides all of the flavors in every single bite.
This is a lifesaver if you need to make a filling meal in a pinch. Having everyone gather around the table to share a nutritious warming meal is made that much better when you know everyone is satisfied.
Make a big batch and freeze some for later. It will keep in the fridge for a few days and it makes great leftovers to pack in your lunch the next day.
How to make Tuna Casserole in the Instant Pot
To start, turn on your Instant Pot to saute mode. Heat up for a couple of minutes then add in the oil and butter until butter has melted.
Add in onions and saute until completely cooked. Then add in chicken broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, and milk and mix together.
Place the egg noodles on top of the liquid mixture but DO NOT STIR. You’ll notice you will be adding ingredients in layers at this point. The reason for this is because if the noodles soak up the liquid too quickly, you will get a burn notice.
Add the solid white albacore tuna to the top of the noodles. Again, DO NOT STIR.
On top of the tuna, you’ll add the cream of mushroom soup, spreading evenly over the tuna but not stirring!
Put the lid on the pot and close the pressure valve on top and make sure the valve is on seal. Set the Instant Pot to Manual or Pressure for 3 minutes.
When the timer goes off, release the pressure carefully using a tea towel. You don’t want to leave it to release manually as this may cause everything to become mushy.
Once the pressure has been released, open the pot and add the frozen peas and shredded cheddar and stir to combine.
Tips and Variations
- Avoid the burn message on your instant pot by layering the ingredients and not stirring everything together. You don’t want the pasta soaking up the liquid too soon.
- Use solid white albacore tuna or tuna in water rather than oil because it’s got a milder flavor.
- Use half and half, full cream, or a non-dairy alternative. The half and half will give it an extra creamy texture.
- Swap out the egg noodles for gluten-free pasta or elbow macaroni.
- Completely omit the cheese or use a dairy-free option. Keep in mind it will be less creamy, but just as tasty!
- Transfer cooked casserole to a casserole dish and sprinkle with panko or regular bread crumbs. Broil 6-8 inches from the heat for 2-4 minutes until brown. This will add a nice crunchy texture.
How to store it
This casserole will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Are there other vegetables I can add?
Absolutely! Diced baby carrots work well, as do sliced mushrooms (which are complemented by the cream of mushroom soup!). For convenience, you can also use frozen mixed veggies.
More casserole recipes you’ll love
- Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Brown Rice Casserole
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- Healthy Zucchini Casserole
- The Best Creamy Chicken Casserole
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Casserole
Instant Pot Tuna Casserole
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- ½ onion diced
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dill dried
- 1 cup Milk or milk of choice
- 12 oz Wide Egg Noodles uncooked
- 2 cans Solid White Albacore Tuna 6 oz cans, drained
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup 10.5 oz cans
- 1 cup Peas frozen
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Turn the instant pot on sauté mode.
- Heat for approximately 2 minutes then add in oil and butter, stirring until the butter has melted.
- Add in onions and sauté onions for about 3-5 minutes until they are fully cooked.
- Add in chicken broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, and half-and-half and mix well.
- Place the noodles on top of the liquid mixture. DO NOT stir.
- Add the canned tuna to the top of the noodles. (Making sure it is evenly distributed on top of the noodles. DO NOT stir.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and spread evenly on top of the tuna. DO NOT stir.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and close the pressure value on top (push it away from you to close).
- Set the Instant pot to Manual – High Pressure for 3 minutes.
- After the timer goes off, release the pressure carefully using a towel.
- Once the pressure has been released, open the Instant Pot.
- Add the peas and shredded cheese and stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Serve immediately.