This Creamy Chicken Casserole is comfort food at its best and a favorite in our house! The cheesy sauce and crispy topping will have everyone wanting more.
Growing up, I have fond memories of certain foods that just scream comfort food. This good ole chicken casserole tops my list of those memories.
Creamy Chicken Casserole
It’s easy to put together and this recipes makes a large batch for loads of leftovers (or for freezing for later)
I usually cook the chicken while I’m getting everything else organized and while the noodles are cooking. But you can also easily cook the chicken ahead of time and just assemble the casserole when you’re ready to put in the oven.
I also cook packs of chicken in the crockpot and freeze it in separate bags to use in recipes like this.
You can also whip up your very own homemade cream of mushroom soup (and cream of chicken soup if you just leave out the mushrooms). I had no idea it was that easy!
We also like our chicken casserole a little on the cheesy side. So, feel free to adjust the cheese to your liking.
Ingredients for Chicken Casserole
3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or diced
(1) 10 1/2 oz can cream of mushroom soup
(1) 10 1/2 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 cup of milk
8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 1/2 Cups Panko bread crumbs or regular bread crumbs
1 lb box of elbow macaroni, cooked per package directions
How to Make Creamy Chicken Casserole
Creamy Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded or diced
- 10.5 ounces 1 10 1/2 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 10.5 ounces 1 10 1/2 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup of milk
- 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Panko bread crumbs or regular bread crumbs
- 1 lb box of elbow macaroni cooked per package directions
- Place chicken breasts in a 9x13 glass baking dish and sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes or until no longer pink.
- When done, shred with a fork or cut into small pieces. Save the juices to use as well.
- In a 9 x 13 Casserole Dish, mix the 2 soups, milk, cheese, cooked chicken and the broth from baked chicken (for extra flavors).
- Then add in the cooked elbow macaroni and mix well.
- Sprinkle the top with panko or bread crumbs and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- To brown the panko topping, turn the oven on broil on low for about 3 -5 minutes to get it extra crispy. Just watch very closely. It can burn quickly. I usually leave the oven door cracked and stir it often.
How to Freeze Chicken Casserole
Chicken casseroles are a wonderful meal to make ahead and freeze. It can either be frozen cooked or uncooked. Just place it in freezer safe dish and then wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Then wrap the entire dish in plastic wrap as well. Freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to cook the casserole, you can place it in the refrigerator the night before to thaw then cook then next night.