S’mores Whipped Hot Cocoa is a fun TikTok trend to get excited about! It’s a simple whipped blend of cocoa powder, marshmallow creme, and whipped cream then topped with graham cracker crumbs and even more chocolate! Enjoy it hot or cold!
When I heard about this drink gone viral, I knew I had to try it. Can we really have too many ways to drink hot cocoa? No, I don’t think so! Plus, I gave Baked Feta Pasta a shot and was blown away. It is currently one of my favorite quick and easy dinners, so I figure, there must be something to this hot chocolate recipe too.
Table of contents
Trending Whipped Hot Cocoa
Whipped hot cocoa is the latest Tik Tok viral food trend and we are here for it. There’s something so neat about a super creative recipe that turns out to be crazy good and ridiculously easy! Just like whipped coffee, aka Dalgona coffee, this hot cocoa recipe is as delicious as it sounds. It’s whimsical, fun drink but when you pour in a shot of Kahlua, it all of a sudden because a little bit sexy! It’s rich, creamy, sweet, and fluffy. It can be enjoyed hot or not hot and customized to your liking.
Elevate your everyday hot chocolate with this recipe. It’s base is milk but what makes it a “cocoa” drink is the whipped portion of it, made with hot cocoa mix, whipped cream, and marshmallow creme. Together it creates a thick, fluffy chocolatey cream that sits on top of the milk that eventually fuses together making this the most decadent drink that easily doubles as a dessert!
This S’mores version is garnished with graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips, and chocolate syrup for a a cup full of camping nostalgia!
Why we love this recipe:
- A quick and easy way to impress your guests.
- It’s a fun treat whether it’s a drink or dessert.
- Customize to your liking with fun toppings for the kids or a little alcohol for the grown ups.
- It can be enjoyed hot or cold.
- Has all of the yummy flavors of s’mores but in a drink form!
- Hot cocoa mix – Any kind you have on hand will work.
- Marshmallow creme – Not to be confused with marshmallow fluff. Although they are very similar and can be used interchangeably for the most part, the end resulting texture will be different. Creme leads to a smoother velvety finish. Jet Puffed has a jarred creme near the bags of marshmallows or ice cream toppings section in stores.
- Whipping cream or heavy cream – Heavy cream will whip a thicker cream. Whipping cream will help to lighten up the marshmallow cream while keeping the richness.
- Chocolate syrup – To drizzle along the inside of the glass for presentation and added chocolate flavor once it blends with the milk.
- Milk – Added to the glass before the chocolate cream mixture. Needed as the liquid base of the whole drink!
- Ice – When you’re serving it cold, ice just makes sense for added chill.
- Optional garnishes – Mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips or chocolate bars, graham cracker crumbs.
How to Make this Recipe
This recipe will be ready for a taste test in just 10 minutes!
Step 1: In a medium bowl, beat hot cocoa mix, marshmallow creme, and heavy whipping cream on low then increase to medium and beat until stiff peaks form. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer.
Step 2: Drizzle chocolate syrup along the inside of the glass or mug and fill it halfway with ice cubes.
Step 3: Pour cold milk into each glass and pipe whipped cocoa mixture on top of the milk.
Step 4: Add your favorite garnishes on top before serving.
1: Leave out the ice and use hot milk for a hot cocoa version.
2: Make your own hot cocoa powder if you have dry milk powder, cocoa powder, and sugar on hand (see instructions below).
3. Swap the chocolate syrup with caramel syrup or maple syrup for a twist.
4. For an adult version, add a shot of your favorite liqueur in there. Bailey’s Irish cream, Kahlua or coffee liqueur would be great.
5: Although whole milk is creamiest, you an substitute with low fat milk or use almond milk, oat milk, soy milk or other type of milk of preferred.
6: Add a teaspoon of instant coffee to the milk or the whipped part for a nice mocha flavored drink.
- Top with mini chocolate chips, graham cracker crumbs and mini marshmallows.
- Additional garnish ideas are chocolate sprinkles, caramel sauce, toasted marshmallows.
- Using a clear glass is fun because it allows you to see all the chocolate drizzle. If you’re using a sold mug, make sure to let some of the syrup fall to the outside as well so people know what’s inside!
Mix 1 1/2 cups dry milk powder, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1/2 cup powdered or white sugar. Use 3 tablespoons of this mixture in this recipe.
It’s a good thing it only takes minutes to make because it’s best served immediately. You could actually make the whipped cocoa ahead of time and pipe it once you’re ready to serve. I wouldn’t recommend doing it too far in advance, however.
It’s amazing either way. Hot cocoa is great for the cooler weather, whether in the fall or winter or once the summer nights begin to get chilly. And chilled whipped cocoa on ice is super refreshing on a hot day, whether as a dessert or a drink. There really is no wrong way to enjoy it!
S’more Whipped Hot Cocoa
- 1 packet hot cocoa mix
- ¼ cup marshmallow creme
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- Optional garnishes: Chocolate syrup graham cracker crumbs, mini chocolate bars or chocolate chips, mini marshmallows.
- Add the hot cocoa mix, marshmallow creme, and whipping cream to a medium bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low first then increase speed to medium after the ingredients are mixed and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup along the insides of 2 glasses or mugs.
- Fill the glass halfway full of ice.
- Pour 1 cup of milk in each glass.
- Place the whipped cocoa in a piping bag or a plastic zip closure baggie with a corner cut out.
- Pipe the whipped cocoa on top of the milk.
- Add any of your favorite garnishes – graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows.