These Coffee Cake Muffins are a healthier version of classic coffee cake. They are made with a few swaps to lower calories and topped with the favorite cinnamon crumbles.
My go-to muffins is usually these Blueberry Muffins or these Zucchini Muffins, but we had a craving for coffee cake this week and these coffee cake muffins were absolutely perfect!
When I think of coffee cake, the first thing I think of is that buttery crumble topping and for some reason, I couldn’t get it out of my mind this morning.
There are so many options for turning long loved favs into a healthier version. For example, this recipe for coffee cake muffins uses Greek yogurt instead of sour cream that you see in many. They are just right for satisfying the “out of the blue” craving.
I simply swapped out regular sugar for coconut sugar and Greek Yogurt for extra oil and we have another great little snack or breakfast idea…with that delicious crumble topping too!
I made mine with my favorite Bob’s Red Mill One-to-One Gluten Free Flour. I use this flour for many other muffin recipes as well.
Coffee Cake Muffins Ingredients
makes 6 muffins
Oat flour, white whole wheat or gluten-free flour
Vanilla or unflavored Protein powder.
Non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
Unsweetened almond or coconut milk
Coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
oat flour, white whole wheat or gluten-free flour
Coconut oil, melted
dash of nutmeg & salt
How to Make Coffee Cake Muffins
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a muffin tin with oil or use paper liners.
Combine all the streusel toppings together in a small bowl and mix until crumbly. Set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, protein powder, baking powder, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt
In another small bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, almond milk, and melted (cooled slightly) coconut oil.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Stir until just combined.
Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tin. Fill each only halfway.
Sprinkle a layer of streusel
Then add a second layer of the batter, then top with more streusel mixture. Press the streusel crumbles gently into the batter on top of the muffin.
Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Looking for more healthy muffin recipes? Try some of these others too :
Inside Out Carrot Cake Muffins
Healthy Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 cup oat flour white whole wheat or gluten free flour
- 1 scoop vanilla or unflavored Protein powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil melted and cooled slightly
- ⅓ cup oat flour white whole wheat or gluten free flour
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg & salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray muffin tin with oil or use paper liners.
- Combine all the streusel toppings together and mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, protein powder, baking powder, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt
- In another small bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, almond milk, and melted (cooled slightly) coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tin. Fill each only halfway.
- Sprinkle a layer of streusel
- Then add a second layer of the batter, then top with more streusel mixture. Press the streusel crumbles gently into the batter on top of the muffin.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
My family and I are simply obsessed with muffins. They are something we could never get bored of. We could indeed enjoy them for all three meals. Homemade muffins are always a good idea. Thank goodness I never have to buy them in the store again.
Thank you so much for this healthy recipe. I absolutely love it. All of the ingredients really work together. I especially like that you use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Highly recommend everyone to give this recipe a try.
p.s. I’ve just also saved your inside-out carrot cake muffins recipe. Can’t wait to try this. Sounds amazing!
These are perfect!!! My family loves them and I make them exactly as the recipe states! Yummy!!!
These look like they should be our next adventure in the kitchen! As a person on the diet, I always try to find healthier recipes to apply to my daily meals. This is your muffin coffer cake truly help me out of my cake craving but still keeping in fit.