With only 3 main ingredients, you can make simple Homemade Cheese Crackers that are so much better than boxed versions! They make a fabulous lunch or after-school snack.
Homemade Cheese Crackers
I have been wanting to make homemade cheese crackers for SO long. We are headed to Gloucester this weekend to camp with my sister-in-law and nephew and I thought that it was the perfect time to give them a try and take for a snack.
I have to admit, in my days before trying to eat more “clean and real foods”, I was a cheez-it, cheese nip kind of girl. They pretty much went everywhere with us. But the ingredients list is pretty scary. Although these have butter and may not be considered “clean”, they are made with “real” ingredients with no added chemicals and preservatives.
This recipe for simple homemade cheese crackers is just 3 whopping ingredients! Whole wheat flour, cheddar cheese and butter and a few spices. That’s it! I used extra sharp New York white cheddar cheese in the block and shredded it myself. You can certainly use orange sharp cheddar too. I like more of a cheesy flavor so the sharper the better for me.
I decided to skip the rolling out of the dough and cutting it into squares for the sole sake of time saving. “Little circle crackers are just as yummy as square ones”, said the whole family.
I did find that putting the dough in the freezer for about 20 minutes after mixing it made it super easy to cut into thin slices.
I love the added black pepper and cayenne pepper flavor that I decided to add. I could have probably used a little more cayenne than I did to give it a little more kick but I wanted to test it out first.
Give these little yummies a try!
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into tablespoon size squares
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper (or more if desired)
How to Make Homemade Cheese Crackers
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all three ingredients in a food processor and blend for about 2 minutes. The mixture will turn into a big ball. If yours doesn’t, no worries you can just squeeze it a little
Roll the dough into a log about 1 in diameter. I split the dough in half and rolled it into 2 rolls to fit on my cookie sheet.
Slice 1″ thick pieces off of the roll. Lay each piece flat on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool for about 5 minutes.
Love healthy snacks? Try some of these great snack recipes too:
Simple Homemade Cheese Crackers - Just 3 Ingredients
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons cold butter cut into tablespoon size squares
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Sprinkle of cayenne pepper or more if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all three ingredients in a food processor and blend for about 2 minutes. The mixture will turn into a big ball. If yours doesn't, no worries you can just squeeze it a little
- Roll the dough into a log about 1 in diameter. I split the dough in half and rolled it into 2 rolls to fit on my cookie sheet.
- Slice 1" thick pieces off of the roll. Lay each piece flat on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes.
Inspired by 100 Days of Real Food