This authentic Barbacoa Recipe is a simple slow cooker beef that makes the most tender, flavorful, delicious barbacoa beef.
Does anyone else love Chipotle as much as I do? One of my favorite things to order there is their Barbacoa beef. This recipe is the real deal!
I have never cooked with chipotles in adobo sauce before so this is a first for me. They are partly responsible for the delicious flavor of this dish. I found them in the same Mexican foods aisle at the grocery store right by the greens chilies.
For this Barbacoa recipe, just simply add all the ingredients to your slow cooker before you leave for the day. Your house will smell completely amazing when you walk through the door.
Ingredients to Make Barbacoa
3 lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed), cut into 2-inch chunks
1/2 cup chicken or beef broth or water
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped (more if you like more heat)
1 small white onion, chopped
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
How to Make Barbacoa Beef
In a medium-sized bowl, combine all the ingredients except the meat, and stir to combine.
Place the meat in the slow cooker.
Pour the sauce over the meat and gently toss to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
Shred the beef using 2 forks inside the slow cooker.
Use a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon to serve the barbacoa.
Refrigerate in the juices in a sealed container. It also freezes well.
What is Barbacoa?
Interestingly, Barbacoa originally was prepared from parts of a cow’s head (mainly cheeks). You would also see goat or venison used as well.
It was slow-cooked in a brick-lined oven dug into the ground in Central Mexico. Today, we know it more commonly as a”brisket”.
I actually bought chuck roast already cut into chunks for stew. You could also use a beef brisket too.
Or forget the tortilla and make it a rice bowl or even a salad. However you decide, it’s all fantastic!
Here are other slow cooker recipes for you to try:
- 3 lbs chuck roast fat trimmed, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth or water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce chopped (more if you like more heat)
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all the ingredients except the meat, and stir to combine.
- Place the meat in the slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and gently toss to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred the beef using 2 forks inside the slow cooker.
- Use a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon to serve the barbacoa.
- Refrigerate in the juices in a sealed container. It also freezes well.
Adapted from Food.com