This Chocolate Zucchini Bread is moist, fluffy, and made with double the chocolate and flecks of fresh zucchini! Simple baking ingredients make this an easy quick bread for last-minute chocolate cravings!
Table of contents
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
This chocolate zucchini bread is similar to my chocolate chip zucchini bread except it has twice the chocolate! So, it is a double chocolate zucchini bread and it is delicious!
I’m not one to shy away from using zucchini in recipes as you can see by my gluten-free zucchini muffins and my banana zucchini oatmeal muffins! You can’t taste it, but I make no apologies for it. It makes it so moist, adds a ton of fiber and nutrients, and there’s just something about chocolate and zucchini that works!
This easy recipe is made with unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate chips which makes it a sweet treat for after dinner, delicious breakfast to wake up to, or an afternoon snack. I usually will make two loaves and freeze one for later.
This chocolate loaf is so simple to make but just indulgent and chocolatey enough to satisfy sweet cravings of all chocolate lovers day or night!
- Butter, melted. The fat is needed to create a tender texture in this quick bread. It also helps to trap steam which helps the bread to rise.
- White sugar. For sweetness. Unsweetened cocoa powder on its own is bitter, so we need to add sugar.
- Milk. The liquid component of this recipe helps the dry ingredients turn into a batter.
- Large egg. Used for binding so that the bread doesn’t fall apart.
- Vanilla extract. A warm delicious flavor enhancer.
- All-purpose flour. The main dry ingredient that creates the foundation for any bread.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder. You can use natural cocoa powder or Dutch-processed as we’re using both baking powder and soda in this recipe. Whatever you have on hand will work.
- Baking powder & baking soda. Leavening agents that help give the bread a muffin-like rise. Since there is no yeast in this bread, these are super important!
- Ground cinnamon. Because, yum!
- Shredded zucchini. Fresh, grated zucchini adds moisture and a delicate and mild zucchini flavor that goes great with both cinnamon and chocolate!
- Chocolate chips. Use whatever kind you have on hand, milk, semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips.
How to Make this Chocolate Bread Recipe
All you need for this easy is a loaf pan, a mixing spoon, and 2 bowls! The smell alone is worth the wait!
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar until well combined. Then add the egg, milk, and vanilla. Continue to mix well. Set this aside and grab another bowl.
Step 2: To a separate medium bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
Step 3: Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, making sure to not over-mix. Just barely incorporated to form a batter.
Step 4: Next, add the zucchini and chocolate chips and stir that all together, and pour the batter into a prepared 9 x 5 loaf pan.
Step 5: Bake for 50-55 minutes and allow the bread to cool in a pan for 10 minutes before removing it to allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
1: Use dark chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chips.
2: Add chopped walnuts or pecans if desired for extra texture.
3: Add ½ cup of raisins if desired, this is especially nice in the fall!
4: Substitute ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce or Greek yogurt for the melted butter.
5: Use oat flour or a one-to-one gluten-free flour for gluten-free bread.
6: Add a tablespoon of instant coffee or espresso powder. This helps to achieve an even deeper more robust chocolate flavor.
7: Use salted or unsalted butter. If using unsalted, add a pinch of salt.
8: Substitute brown sugar, coconut sugar or maple syrup instead of white sugar for a bit of a different flavor and even more moisture.
9: Use milk or choice or non-dairy milk such as almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk.
- Make sure to measure the flour carefully using the spoon and level method.
- Use parchment paper to line the loaf pan for easy removal. You also want to spray it with baking spray to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Test the loaf with a toothpick to see if it’s done. Insert it into the middle of the bread and if it comes out clean, it’s ready!
- Do not over-mix. The reason for this is you want to maintain all of the trapped air and not activate too much of the gluten. Otherwise, you’ll lose that light and fluffy texture we’re after.
- Grate the zucchini using a box grater or by using the grating attachment of a food processor.
Keep leftover pieces in an airtight container, to maintain moisture, and leave them on the counter for up to 4 days. That way people can grab a slice whenever they want!
If you are making two loaves and want to freeze one, don’t slice it. Allow it to cool completely then wrap it in plastic wrap. Transfer it to a freezer-friendly bag and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Quick bread is made without yeast, which cuts down on time. Since there is no proofing yeast or rise time, it’s a shortcut way to making a homemade loaf of bread! They can be enjoyed sweet or savory and are something anyone can make at any time!
You do not need to squeeze out any water from the shredded zucchini. Some recipes require you to do that, this isn’t one of them. We want the water! It helps with keeping the bread nice and moist.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. For easy removal from the pan, line with parchment paper as well.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the melted butter and sugar and whisk until combined.8 tablespoons butter, ¾ cup white sugar
- Then add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix well.¼ cup milk, 1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon and stir to combine.1 ¼ cups all purpose flour, ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until they are just barely incorporated. Be careful not to over-mix or the bread will be too dense.
- Next, add the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips and gently stir into the batter.1 cup shredded zucchini, ½ cup chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, ,or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove it and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.