This Crispy Oven Baked Cod Recipe is an easy 30-minute dinner. A light and flaky fish topped with a buttery crispy parmesan crust and then oven-baked until golden brown. It’s a delicious take on a batter coated fish and much healthier than fried. Enjoy on its own or as a filling for fish tacos and sandwiches!
My family loves a really good fish dinner. Cod with Tomato Basil Sauce and Pan Seared Salmon are two of our favorites. So flavorful, without feeling heavy. They’re both must-tries. Both the kids and the adults will be asking for seconds!
Making fish for dinner doesn’t need to be complicated. And comfort food doesn’t need to be heavy. This foolproof recipe uses a mild white fish such as cod, which is heart-healthy, high in protein, and lower on the mercury scale. It’s a delicate lean fish, but sturdy enough as a base for a delicious crunchy buttered cracker crumble on top.
Baking it rather than dredging it in oil, keeps it moist but still a lighter version of classic comfort food. And the crispy coating gives it a lovely texture! A crunchy cracker crust with a hint of parmesan and citrus from the lemon is melt in your mouth amazing.
This dish will become part of your rotation, especially if you’re looking to include more lean protein into your diet (or maybe less red meat). Fish taco Tuesdays anyone?
It’s a quick easy dinner ready in 30 minutes which makes it a great weeknight meal that can easily be doubled to serve a larger crowd. If you crave fish every once in a while, this easy recipe will come in handy.
Serve it on top of a bed of rice or a side of vegetables. Use it as a filling for fish tacos, or a mouthwatering sandwich. For the best light version of fish and chips, serve it alongside french fries, wedges, or sweet potato fries!
- Cod fillets
- Butter crackers (Ritz or Club crackers)
- Parmesan Cheese
- Butter (melted)
- Lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley (optional garnish)
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Cod
Preheat the oven and place your pieces of cod on a prepared baking sheet. Use parchment paper to line it or grease it with oil or cooking spray.
Place your butter crackers into a zip lock bag and break into crumbs, using a rolling pin. You can also pulse them in a food processor. Keep in mind you don’t want fine crumbs, you want a bit of texture.
In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs with parmesan cheese, melted butter, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
A spoonful at a time, sprinkle the crumbs evenly over top of each filet of fish.
Bake until the fish is opaque and flaky and the crust is golden brown!
Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley if you’d like. This dish is best served immediately when the topping is the most crispy. In the event you need to reheat it, just pop it back in the oven at 350 degrees until heated through. Enjoy every bite!
Tips and Variations
- For a lower calorie option, use Panko bread crumbs instead.
- For a gluten-free version, swap out any gluten free crackers.
- A 1/2 tsp of garlic powder added to the crumbs adds another layer of flavor that works nicely.
- If the fish falls apart easily when pulled at with a fork, you’ll know it’s done. A flaky fish is what you’re aiming for.
- Finish off the dish with another final squeeze of lemon, before serving, for a little extra citrus.
Side Dishes to Serve with this Cod Recipe
Crispy Parmesan Baked Cod Recipe
- 4 Cod fillets approx. 2 pounds
- 35 butter crackers ie. Ritz or Club crackers
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place cod on a greased baking sheet or line with parchment paper
- Place the crackers in a zip lock bag and break into into crumbs. (I use a rolling pin)
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs with parmesan cheese, melted butter, lemon juice and salt & pepper.
- Evenly spoon the mixture over top of each fillet.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove and top with fresh parsley, if desired.