The simplicity of this Curried Quinoa adds light, delicious flavor for a healthy side dish to serve along with roasted vegetables and a protein source.
I have mentioned several times that a big part of being successful at weight loss and weight management is meal prepping and planning.
Several times a week, I cook brown rice and sweet potatoes to have as our staple carb items. I roast all kind of veggies to add to that. I also bake packs of chicken breasts or cook ground turkey for a protein source.
Having everything on hand makes is super easy for my husband to pack his lunches and for me to have my meals ready to eat as well.
Changing up the spices and seasonings is the best way to keep things from getting boring. This week I decided to make another recipe with one of my other favorite carb sources, quinoa. Last month this Balsamic Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Quinoa was a hit. This time something curry was calling to me.
If you already have your protein (chicken, turkey or fish) and veggies prepared, just put together your meals in plastic containers like these meal prep containers, and you can just grab them when you are heading to work each day or heat them when you are home.
Ingredients for Curried Quinoa
1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 orange or red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
½ tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup cilantro, chopped, optional
How to Make Curried Quinoa
In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium high heat.
Saute garlic, onion and peppers for about 5-7 minutes until tender
Add curry and turmeric and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Being careful not to burn the spices.
Add quinoa, water, and cinnamon
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Cook covered for about 15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
Fluff with a fork and add pepper to taste.
Try these other popular quinoa dishes as well:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 orange or red bell pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped, optional
- In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Saute garlic, onion and peppers for about 5-7 minutes until tender
- Add curry and turmeric and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Being careful not to burn the spices.
- Add quinoa, water, and cinnamon
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook covered for about 15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and add pepper to taste.