This easy Turkey Meatloaf recipe is hearty and so delicious. Made with ground turkey and a blend of flavorful spices with a sweet ketchup topping, this meal is both healthy and satisfying. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or meal prep for the week.
If you love meatloaf as much as we do, sometimes it’s nice to have options. Check out the Best Easy Meatloaf recipe for your red meat option.
We all know once turkey is cooked on its own it can be quite bland and dry. For all the health benefits it provides us, juicy and moist are not a part of the package. This is where all of the added ingredients make a difference. The garlic and sautéed onions help make this so incredibly flavorful.
This turkey meatloaf delivers on all accounts! It has all the things we love in a classic meatloaf recipe with a healthy twist! In an hour you’ll have a low fat, low calorie, comfort food on your table which the whole family will enjoy!
This is a great make ahead recipe. Make two at a time and freeze one for a later date. Just take it out to thaw the night before or morning of and reheat! It’s perfect for busy families, and super satisfying!
What to serve with this Meatloaf
Serve meatloaf with simple Hashbrown Casserole, Roasted Potatoes or Cauliflower Rice and a vegetable, like Balsamic Brussel Sprouts or Roasted Green Beans for the perfect healthy meal with the best sides.
How to make this Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
Preheat the oven.
Melt coconut oil in a saute pan and cook onion and garlic until soft, stirring occasionally.
Remove onion and garlic and place in a large bowl to cool.
After a few minutes of cooling, add turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, ketchup and pepper to the onion mixture. Mix and combine all ingredients either with a wooden spoon or by hand.
Form into a loaf shape and place in a glass baking dish. You can also use a parchment lined baking sheet or a lined (or glass) bread loaf pan.
Bake in the oven until completely cooked through. The ketchup drizzle over top is an option if you’d like to add a little extra saucy sweetness to your meatloaf.
Pro Tips: For a gluten free alternative, use gluten free breadcrumbs or old fashioned oats.
Let it rest before slicing. Otherwise you will lose all the juices and it won’t hold its shape as nicely.
For little appetites, use a muffin tin instead of a loaf pan for mini loaves!
Substitute the ketchup topping for BBQ sauce for a smokier flavor.
Use a store bought egg replacer instead of eggs. Keep in mind that eggs help with moisture.
How do I keep turkey meatloaf moist?
Don’t overwork the meat! When it comes time to combining the ingredients together, do not over mix. Soak the breadcrumbs in milk ahead of time to help re hydrate the dry crumbs and you can use 93% lean ground turkey rather than 99%.
How long to bake meatloaf?
The ideal temperature for turkey meatloaf is 350 degrees for approximately 50-55 minutes. The internal temperature should read 160-170 degrees.
Can I freeze it?
Yes! Once completely cooled, this meatloaf will keep in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in foil. You can even slice it and freeze it in slices and only take out what you need!
Easy Turkey Meatloaf
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 20 ounces 99% Fat Free ground turkey eat
- ½ cup breadcrumbs or 2 pieces of Ezekiel bread toasted and broken into pieces.
- 1 large egg or ¼ cup liquid egg whites
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt coconut oil in a saute pan.
- Cook onion and garlic in melted oil for about 5-7 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.2 tablespoon coconut oil, 3 cloves garlic, 1 cup onion
- Place the cooked onion and garlic in a large bowl to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix turkey, bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, and pepper with onion mixture.20 ounces 99% Fat Free ground turkey eat, ½ cup breadcrumbs or 2 pieces of Ezekiel bread, 1 large egg, ¼ cup ketchup, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Shape into a “Loaf” and place in a glass baking dish.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until cooked completely through.