This easy Cowboy Caviar dip is a colorful blend of fresh ingredients and mild spices with a touch of lime juice. It’s a wonderful appetizer to serve with your favorite tortilla chips and quick to make in less than 15 minutes.
I was first introduced to cowboy caviar at dinner with my mother-in-law a few years ago. Some people refer to it as Texas Caviar or Mexican Caviar. It’s a very popular, simple dip that is to made up of fresh ingredients – black beans, black-eyed peas, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado and more!
Some versions are made with added sugar for a sweeter taste. Add a little diced jalapeno peppers for a spicy version.
How to Make this Easy Cowboy Caviar Dip
Cowboy Caviar is one of the easiest appetizer recipes to make. It’s perfect for larger gatherings.
In a large bowl, blend the olive oil, white wine vinegar, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, and salt together.
Add the tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, red onion, bell peppers, and cilantro.
Cover and chill for at least an hour for flavors to blend.
Since it is made with beans and vegetables, Cowboy Caviar is gluten-free. Be sure to choose a gluten-free chip, like tortillas chips to dip with. It is also vegan!
You can always change up the extra ingredients in Cowboy Caviar if you prefer.
Try adding minced garlic, green bell peppers instead of red, feta cheese and/or black olives too.
You can also substitute green onions for the red onions. If you would like to make it without cilantro, feel free to do that as well if you prefer.
Mix up the Cowboy Caviar ahead of time (at least 3-4 hours) to allow the flavors to blend well together.
Serve with your favorite chips and be ready to hand out the recipe when you make it for a crowd.
You can store Cowboy Caviar in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 15 ounces 15 ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 11 ounces 11 ounce can super sweet corn, drained
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional (up to ¼ cup if preferred)
- In a large bowl, blend the olive oil, white wine vinegar, chili powder, cumin, lime juice and salt together.
- Add the tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, red onion, bell peppers and cilantro.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour for flavors to blend.
- Serve with your favorite chips, as a side dish or as a topping for fish or chicken
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected